Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another likely media overblown story - panicked plane

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/0...ing-storm.html

Once again it looks like we have another media story about a plane flight which makes it sound like the passengers were about to die. It appears a media person was actually on the plane which maybe explains why this story has already gone viral. It certainly doesn't help fearful fliers.

I wasn't on that flight but I have flown Southwest A LOT and I'm a recovering fearful flier thanks to SOAR ... and I have flown in some pretty rough weather with Southwest but never once did I think my safety was being compromised. I wish they would have been able to interview the pilots and get the real story.

Thoughts on this, Tom?

Comment

There were TWO Southwest incidences. The one where everyone was panicking about landing in a thunderstorm and the other where a woman was killed after nearly being blown out the window when the engine exploded. I don't think that is overblown (pardon the very bad and unintentional pun) because someone really did die.

(PS... I just recently flew on a 737 like the one in this incident so that makes me feel kind of sick.)
      Last edited by Amelia Chickenhart; 04-17-18, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I have to admit that today's event is a bit troubling. While hats are off to the pilots and crew for safely landing the plane and that the damage was limited to one fatality and eight minor injuries ... you do have to wonder about SWA maintenance. They did have a very similar event occur in 2016 and the photos of the damage of the engine cowling look almost identical. On the plus side, I bet the investigation by NTSB yields some measures airlines can take to bolster up the metal fatigue that occurs with 737 engines. As I understand it, the kind in that 737-700 plane today are some of the most reliable in the industry.

I'm sure Capt. Tom will be able to help us put this into better perspective.

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/airl...014452928.html

and

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...anxious-fliers

Comment

My wife landed DAL on a Southwest flight the night before this happened. She thinks nothing of the flight in question.

Unlike me, in the past, she doesn’t have a fear of flying. That said, there was a flight a few years back where the turb got rough on descent, and she hates the falling sensation—that’s when the fear kicks in with her—and I finally had the “pleasure” of talking her down and calming things. Total role-reversal from years ago.

I mention the above to note that what happened is EXTREMELY rare, and even MORE rare for someone to be injured/killed.

PLEASE do NOT let this make you avoid flying. If this keeps you geounded, then for God’s sake DON’T drive your car tomorrow. You’re FAR more likely to die before you reach your destination than if you flew on a commercial airliner.

Comment

oneant, your comments above remind me of one time a few years back when I was on the way to the airport to fly (on Southwest) for some work travel. The drive to Austin Bergstrom International was nuts and it was just about 10-12 miles from my house. I saw one wreck and a bunch of idiots driving recklessly. I honestly felt that I couldn't wait to get to the safety of the aiport and, more importantly, inside my airplane where I knew I would be much safer than the crazy drive in. LOL.

The more I hear about this most recent SWA event, the more it is evident to me that this was an incredibly rare set of circumstances. And like most other "events" in aviation, I am confident that our already very safe U.S. air carriers will end up even safer when they learn what happened and implement any necessary fixes.

Comment

Working...
              X