United Hard Landing & Blown Tire - Booked on same flight Wed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Hard Landing & Blown Tire - Booked on same flight Wed

The SOAR program has been instrumental in overcoming my fear of flying. I enjoy flying now and have little or no anticipatory and in-flight anxiety. That changed yesterday when I heard about the United flight from DEN-EWR that landed hard, blew out tires and skidded to a stop on the runway. No one was hurt and everyone got off the plane with just minimal inconveniences of missed flights and missing luggage. You see, I fly that route 3-5 times a year for the past 20+ years and am booked on the same flight (times, flight number and aircraft 757) the day after tomorrow. The story has been playing over and over in my head since hearing about the incident, probably because I can picture all too well everything about that flight. So for the first time in a long time I am having anticipatory anxiety picturing all of the things that can go wrong on my flight. (I usually only stress a little about the weather this time of year.) I suppose this is just a minor setback that I will get over with the help the SOAR tools but sharing here if any others have sage advice about overcoming similar setbacks.

This is pretty strange. Tires don't just blow on an airliner. So it would mean a very hard landing. And then the question arises, how would any pilot at United land that hard? I don't know the answer to that yet, but here is what is published so far:

Accident: United B752 at Newark on Jun 15th 2019, hard landing
    By Simon Hradecky, created Saturday, Jun 15th 2019 20:08Z, last updated Monday, Jun 17th 2019 21:09Z

A United Boeing 757-200, registration N26123 performing flight UA-627 from Denver,CO to Newark,NJ (USA) with 166 people on board, landed on Newark's runway 22L at 12:56L (16:56Z) but bounced and touched down hard causing damage to the nose gear and forward fuselage. The aircraft came to a stop with the nose gear off the left runway edge, still on the paved surface of the runway. The passengers disembarked onto the runway via stairs.

A passenger reported the damage is even visible inside the cabin where the nose gear came up into the cabin.

Another passenger reported on Jun 16th 2019 that the aircraft touched down with the left main gear first and bounced, then the aircraft touched down very hard on the nose gear. The aircraft came to a stop with at least two of the four tyres deflated on each left and right main gear. The passenger believes the left hand main tyres deflated on first touch down causing the bounce.

The airline reported the aircraft experienced multiple flat tyres upon landing in Newark. The aircraft became disabled.

The FAA initially reported the aircraft landed on runway 22L and skidded off the left side of the pavement, the left main gear is stuck in a grassy area, later corrected their statement to state preliminary information suggests the left main tyres blew on landing and the aircraft veered to the left side of the pavement.

Comment

Thanks for the response and incident information. It's good to know you think it was a strange event as well. All of this helps to put it into perspective for me. Thank you!

Comment

I totally understand how you feel, I fly from Atlanta to Denver several times a year (and I fly to Newark sometimes as well) so yeah - I was a little freaked out by that, too. Last April, I was on a 737, in a window seat over the wing, just a few days before the incident where a lady died after nearly being sucked out of a 737 from her window seat on the wing. The flights I take to Denver are often on a 737.

But now, I am more concerned about that horrible incident with severe turbulence that hurled a flight attendant into the ceiling and had passengers screaming and praying. That was a flight about to land in France, where I am going later this year. I can't pretend, "Oh, it won't happen on my airline, or I'm not flying into that airport" or any of the usual things I tell myself. It COULD happen on my plane and I am flying into that same airspace. I hope Captain Tom can tell us what likely caused such a severe encounter and why it is unlikely (?) to happen on my flight.

Normally, mild turbulence isn't a big deal to me (I have other fears, but not that one!) however, that incident looked terrifying!

Good luck on your flight, since today is Wednesday, I suppose you have already made your trip and all is well.

Comment

Look. I flew with the airlines for 31 years and never experienced turbulence where I could not walk around the front of the plane. These terrifying incidents in the media make no sense to me. Sure, the rear of the plane does move around a lot more, but you know what? Wear your seat belt and nothing bad will happen to you.

Comment

It seems to me like the turbulence is a little rougher during the descent (which I think is what that incident in France happened.) Am I imagining that, or is that there a reason for that?

Comment

What the media put out about Air France was incorrect. It had nothing to do with turbulence.

Comment

Working...
              X